This is a tangy, sweet ice cream that tastes exactly like cheesecake. With the addition of a quick strawberry puree made from fresh or frozen berries, this is a treat that can easily be enjoyed year round. I absolutely loved the flavor, the texture and the look of this ice cream!
This would be fantastic served over a warm brownie or slice of chocolate cake. Maybe next time though, this batch is long gone!
Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake Ice Cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- zest of 1 large lemon about 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Strawberry Puree Ingredients:
- 12 large frozen* or fresh strawberries about 2 cups of berries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- *if you are using frozen berries allow them to thaw at room temperature for about half an hour before mashing them.
- Mash the strawberries in a medium size saucepan. Add the sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and while stirring constantly, cook 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, let cool and then chill in the freezer while the ice cream is churning.
- Combine all ice cream ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Pour into ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. When the ice cream is almost finished churning, remove the cold strawberry puree from the freezer and stir well. Add ½ a cup puree to the ice cream in the machine.
- When the ice cream has finished churning, transfer to a freezer safe container. Drizzle with the remaining strawberry puree; I reserved ¼ cup of the puree for topping. Use a knife to swirl the berries through the ice cream. Chill in the freezer for a couple hours before serving. Enjoy!