Spicy Chocolate Ice Cream is cold, creamy chocolate with a hint of spicy heat from chili and cinnamon.
This ice cream warms your mouth even as you are chilled from the ice cream. The combination of heat with the cold is fantastic.
When some friends requested a chocolate and chili ice cream combination last year, I was excited to finally try it for myself.
At the very first taste, I was happy that we were planning to share this ice cream with them and avoid the temptation of eating the entire recipe myself! The ice cream has received rave reviews from everyone who tasted it.
I’ve made this ice cream over a dozen times now. Spicy Chocolate Ice Cream is my husband’s favorite and in over a year of making it, this is the first time I’ve managed to get a photo of it.
He loves to give it away to friends and it still disappears lightning fast every time it is in the house.
The most popular question I get is whether it’s possible to make ice cream without a machine. The answer is YES. You can make ice cream without a machine. Find the full directions here!
For more chocolate ice cream deliciousness, try this Dark Chocolate Almond Ice Cream, Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream, or Dark Chocolate Orange Ice Cream!
Spicy Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup dutch process cocoa powder or special dark cocoa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 – 3 teaspoons chili powder adjust to taste
- Whisk together the cream, cocoa and sugar in a medium saucepan. Warm the mixture over medium-high heat, whisking constantly until it comes to a full rolling boil (the mixture will foam up). Remove from the heat before it overflows and immediately add the chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Stir in the milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and chile powder. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, until thoroughly chilled. Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s directions. Enjoy!
7 Comments Leave a comment or review
Tricia Buice says
I love my Perfect Scoop cookbook but haven't tried this recipe! It looks amazing and I love that color of nail polish – haha – have a great weekend!
Sorry I meant CAYENNE. Your description mentions heat from cayenne cinnamon and chili, but the ingredient list and instructions only talks about chili and cinnamon, no cayenne??
There is no cayenne in this ice cream. Thanks for catching that!
Joan Hayes says
I love the sound and looks of this! Sweet, spicy, and cool — such a fun trifecta! : )
Sue/the view from great island says
I have never wanted to lick my screen so badly in my life 🙂
Jean | DelightfulRepast.com says
Mary, looks like a surefire hit for summer! Love your ice cream cone photos!
Speaking of cayenne, don't mistakenly add that. I accidentally added cayenne from my unmarked spice rack (only 1tsp!) and I can only handle a few tastes at a time. Even my heat-loving bf thinks it's too spicy! But the chocolate taste in it is amazing! Live and learn…