This crunchy, pungent cabbage is the biggest surprise that has come out of my kitchen lately. Initially, I made this as a relish, thinking that I’d serve it in fish tacos or maybe with a chicken sandwich. Ha. We didn’t even get to the sandwiches.
My husband and I stood at the counter and finished off almost the entire batch on it’s own as soon as I’d snapped a few pictures. This recipe is another hit from The Elote Cafe Cookbook.
Served as a side dish, a salad or a condiment, this is a recipe that is going to be made frequently. My kids were not fans of the cabbage, but that was completely fine with me, because I really didn’t want to share.
The recipe is so simple and yet, it left me almost without words to describe it. My husband is a fan of both coleslaw and spicy heat, so I assumed that he would like this. I did not anticipate that “I” would find this cabbage completely and totally irresistible.
There are so many flavors in this cabbage and they all combine to make it unforgettable. I tasted the cabbage right after stirring it together and thought it was pretty good. Then about 5 minutes later, I was back for another taste.
One taste led to another and within an hour, I’d eaten almost half of this batch! (and this from a girl who never claimed to love cabbage!)
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light flavored olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Cholula hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Place the shredded cabbage in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir together all remaining ingredients and then pour over the cabbage. Toss well to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat. Enjoy!