More a warm muesli cereal than a cooked oatmeal, this breakfast truly surprised me. The flavors were perfect together. The nuts were softened to the perfect crunch. The cinnamon, raisins and bananas all combined to make this a delicious breakfast. I have already printed a copy of this recipe and put it in my breakfast binder. This will be made repeatedly in the future.
Both of my older boys told me it was delicious and the baby was frantically signing “more, more, more” as I was finishing feeding him. My oldest son (the child who avoids oatmeal whenever possible) requested this for breakfast tomorrow as he went to bed tonight. Apparently, it really was that good.
Check out all of our Oatmeal Recipes!
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 large bananas sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup raisins
- Place all ingredients in the crock-pot. Cook on HIGH for 1 hour or on LOW for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally, or until desired consistency. (Confession: I turned the crockpot on and promptly forgot to check it for the next hour. It was perfect when I tested it at the hour mark.)
- * I used a 2 quart crockpot for this recipe, but it would work fine in a larger one. Just watch the oatmeal and see if it is cooking more quickly than the recipe describes.