Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables to roast. So much more flavor is brought out when it is cooked this way. A few years ago, a friend brought us a meal and she included a whole tray of roasted broccoli. Wow. We had no idea that broccoli could really taste this delicious! Topped with just a bit of freshly grated cheese, this is one of our favorite year round side dishes.
- 2 lbs of fresh broccoli washed and cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper adjust to taste
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder sometimes I add it and sometimes I don't
- Pecorino Romano or Parmesan Cheese I've used both
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Wash the broccoli, shake it well or even dry with a towel. You want to remove as much water as possible from the broccoli. Cut it into pieces. I like to leave a portion of the stem attached, because I like it that way. If you do not, simply cut the broccoli into florets.
- Place the broccoli into a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss with your hands to coat thoroughly. Sprinkle the coasted broccoli generously with the spices. Toss again. Spread the broccoli across a large greased baking sheet or a sheet lined with a silpat mat.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, or just until the broccoli turns bright green with some slightly browned tips. It should be crisp tender and not at all soggy. Remove from the oven and grate the cheese over the warm broccoli. Enjoy!