This is a rich and creamy soup filled with an abundance of potatoes, ham, and corn. My sister and I cooked this simple Potato, Ham, and Corn Soup together on a snowy afternoon while we were visiting her family over the holidays.
The weather was windy and cold and I wanted something hearty and warm for lunch. With some leftover ham from Christmas and a few pounds of potatoes, we had a hot lunch on the table in barely half an hour. This soup works well on its own, and its also great when served with a loaf of crusty bread and a salad.
Potato, Ham, and Corn Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced small
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour*
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 8 cups milk
- 4 pounds yukon red, or russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound cooked ham chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 24 ounces frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper adjust to taste
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium high heat, add the garlic and onion and saute until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with flour, thyme, and oregano and stir to coat. Add the milk and cook while whisking for a minute or so.
- Add the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the ham and corn and cook about 5 minutes longer until the ham and corn are warm. Add salt and pepper, taste, and adjust seasonings as needed. Enjoy!
Here are a few more great potato soups you might like:
Leftover Turkey and Sweet Potato Soup by Kalyn’s Kitchen
Roasted Poblano, Sweet Corn, and Potato Stoup by Iowa Girl Eats
Bacon Potato Soup by TidyMom
Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon Bits by Boulder Locavore
Roasted Corn Potato Chowder by Foodie with Family
Roasted Sweet Potato Soup by Simply Recipes
Smoky Sweet Potato Apple Soup by Bless This Mess
11 Comments Leave a comment or review
Magnolia Verandah says
Love the fact you used the left over ham from Christmas. Great winter soup.
gail dickinson says
Potato soup is one of my favorite comfort foods. Perfect for a cold winter's day or a night when you just want an easy meal.
Kathy Ramos says
Those look delicious! I think my kids would love this one! thanks for sharing!
Is there a way this can be made without using so much milk?
You could certainly swap in chicken broth or stock, if that's more your style. I haven't tried it myself, but it should be fine. I'd recommend waiting to salt the recipe until after you taste it, if you use a store-bought broth.
That's awesome! Thank you so much.
I did keep 4c. milk and I did 2c.chicken broth and 2c.water and it turned out pretty good!
Delicious. I used 1t spaghetti seasoning 1T steak seasoning, white pepper and salt. I fried the potatoes b fore adding to veggies. Yummy, quick and easy!
Jadran Lee says
This is a tasty soup! But is the 24 ounces of corn supposed to be volume (3 cups) or weight (1.5 pounds)?
Mary Younkin says
This is by weight, Jadran. I typically use a 24 ounce bag of frozen corn.
Fantastic! Any time that I have a hankering for something with specific ingredients I can always count on finding something delicious here! We enjoyed this just as written with only exception using fresh oregano from my darling little kitchen plant. Thank you for great food and recipes that are not complicated for my Kitchen skill set.