Creamy, frothy Orange Julius drinks are a fun food memory that most of us share. No food says ‘I’m awake!’ quite like the iconic combination of orange and vanilla. My kids were thrilled when I introduced them to this fun memory from my childhood.
I’ve added pineapple to our version, because in my world, pineapple makes everything even better. The pineapple adds a little tropical flair that makes your taste buds wake right up.
I’ve partnered with AllWhites® to share this breakfast smoothie with you. I love the convenience of liquid egg whites for fast breakfasts on busy mornings. Not only do egg whites add protein to this smoothie, but they also give it the classic Julius-style creaminess and froth that can’t be beat. (Scroll down to the bottom of this post for a fun breakfast giveaway too!)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pineapple concentrate
- 1/4 cup AllWhites 100% liquid egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 2 - 4 tablespoons powdered sugar adjust as desired
- Optional: sliced pineapple wedges for garnish
- Place the orange juice, milk, pineapple concentrate, AllWhites, and vanilla in the blender. Blend for about a minute until frothy and thick. Add the ice cubes and blend again for 1-2 minutes until finely crushed and frothy. Taste the smoothie and add sugar to taste. Blend a few more seconds to mix the sugar throughout. Pour into glasses and garnish with pineapple, if desired. Enjoy!
If desired, orange juice concentrate can be substituted for the pineapple concentrate. I recommend 100% juice concentrates and orange juice either way. If the concentrate or juice that you use has added sugars, you’ll want to taste the mixture before adding any extra sugar. It is possible to make this drink without the concentrate, however, it won’t be as thick or creamy without it.
I actually preferred the drink with no sugar at all. It is tangy and a little tart that way. However, the sugar makes it much closer to the original Orange Julius flavor. It probably won’t surprise you to hear that my kids preferred their drinks with the full amount of sugar.
Disclosure: I’ve partnered with AllWhites® to share this recipe and giveaway with you. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Barefeet In The Kitchen possible. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Simply Calphalon Nonstick 10-inch Omelette Pan