Fluffy peanut butter cream sandwiched between dark chocolate sandwich cookies turned out to be an awesome idea. There is just something irresistible about the combination of peanut butter and chocolate. Luckily, I was smart enough to make these, sample one and immediately send them away from my house. There would have been no self control involved if these were left in my refrigerator overnight. I’m certain they would have been my breakfast, lunch and dinner the following day.
I adjusted the flour in this recipe, in order to make the cookies a bit crispier than I normally like. The peanut butter filling softens the cookie to the perfect crispness without allowing them to get too soft.
If you are looking for the ultimate chocolate cookie recipe, and are not interested in stuffing them full of peanut butter, this recipe for Delicate Chocolate Cookies can not be beat and I have a gluten free recipe too!
- Cookie Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour *
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch *
- 2 tablespoons potato starch *
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder dutch process if possible
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- * if you do not need a GF version of this recipe simply substitute 1/2 cup flour for the items marked with an *
- Filling Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3/4 - 1 cup powdered sugar adjust to taste
- 4 - 6 tablespoons of heavy cream milk can be substituted
- Whisk the flours, cocoa, salt and baking soda together and set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat the
- butter and sugars together until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg
- and vanilla and beat again. Add the dry ingredients and beat again just
- until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the
- dough 1 hour. (or skip this step, like I forgot to do and it will result in much thinner cookies)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment
- paper or a silpat mat. Scoop the dough by 1/2 tablespoons onto the baking
- sheet, leaving at least 2" in between the cookies. Return the remaining
- dough to the refrigerator in between batches.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes, only until they begin to crisp on the
- edges and they look just a tiny bit gooey still in the center. Allow the
- cookies to cool on the baking sheet for at least 2-3 minutes before
- transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, combine the peanut butter and 3/4 cup of powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat until well combined. Add 1/4 cup of cream and beat until smooth. Taste and adjust the sweetness as desired. Add the last 2 tablespoons of cream only if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- When the cookies have cooled, turn over half the cookies and place about 1 tablespoon of the filling on top of them. Place another cookie on top of the filling and squeeze gently to spread the filling between them. Let the cookies rest for at least half an hour before serving, to soften the cookies and allow them to absorb more peanut butter flavor. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy!