I couldn’t resist making a smoothie with some of the fantastically purple peacock kale that came in our CSA Box this week. Who can resist a green smoothie that isn’t green at all?
Anytime you are making a smoothie with kale, it is important to blend it as smooth as possible. I also balance the kale greens with a good bit of orange juice. This still counts as a green, even if it’s bright purple. It is a no fail combination for deliciousness.
The three toddlers in the house drank every sip of this smoothie in about 5 minutes. It was good!
Peacock Kale Smoothie
- 2 cups orange juice I used freshly squeezed, but store bought is fine as well
- 1 large handful of peacock kale about 2-3 cups chopped
- 1 large banana frozen is best
- 1 cup frozen grapes
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- Rinse the kale and shake off the excess water. Pull the leaves away from the core and then remove the longest tips of the stem. (If you have a very powerful blender, you can leave all the stems, but be careful to blend it long enough to become smooth. Tasting bits of kale in the smoothie is not a lot of fun.) Roughly chop the kale into 3-4" pieces.
- Layer the orange juice, kale, banana and grapes into the blender and puree until smooth. Add chia seeds if desired and pulse to combine. Enjoy!