Fresh ripe peaches are cooked with steel cut oats and dried cranberries until everything is soft and tender, then topped with a bit of brown sugar or honey and a pat of butter. The peaches are cooked just long enough to soften without falling apart.
The flavor reminds me of Southern Peach Cobbler. I have a weakness for peaches; whether they are raw, baked, grilled, simmered, blended or otherwise cooked. I have just one more peach recipe to share on Monday and then I’ll bid farewell to my favorite fruit until next year.
After making Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal last month, I knew that I’d be trying something similar with peaches very soon. I’ve made this oatmeal numerous times now and I love it every bit as much as the apple variety.
I might not be able to enjoy stove-top oatmeal without warm fruit cooked into it ever again.
Check out all of our Oatmeal Recipes!
Peach Oatmeal with Cranberries and Almonds
- 1 cup quick cooking steel cut oats *
- 3 cups water
- 2 medium peaches diced small (reserve a few thin slices for garnish if desired)
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds reserve a few for garnish if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Brown sugar or honey
- * if you don't have quick cooking steel cut oats use 1 2/3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- In a medium size saucepan, combine the oats, water, peaches, cranberries and salt. Bring to a boil and then immediately reduce to medium low and simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Scoop into serving bowls and top each bowl with 1-2 teaspoons of brown sugar or honey and a teaspoon of butter. Garnish with extra peaches and almonds. Enjoy!
8 Comments Leave a comment or review
Much much better than those packaged mixes.
Sue/the view from great island says
I could stare into that bowl all morning! Fruit cobbler/oatmeal would hit the spot right now, I love this!
Helene Dsouza says
I so wished I had some peaches around! Lovely breakfast recipe, thanks for sharing.
Words Of Deliciousness says
The perfect breakfast. I love peaches, sounds like it would be delicious with the oatmeal.
Vicki Bensinger says
I have oatmeal every morning with blueberries and cinnamon. Now that I've seen this I may have to try it with frozen peaches, craisins and almonds. Frozen peaches would be great when the season is over or of course a fruit in season. I do like the addition of the dried cranberries and almonds. It's healthy, adds flavor and crunch. I think I will add those in this morning. Thanks for sharing this.
I make oatmeal quite often…There is just no comparison to instant oatmeal! Looks delicious!
Joanne - Inspired Taste says
This looks wonderful. I love steel cut oats in the morning! I usually just top with honey and butter, but I might just add some peaches next time!
I had a nectarine so I used that with the cranberries and almonds…yummo!!! So delicious and warming. Stuck with me for a looooong time too! Garlic7girl