Do these look familiar? I posted this fantastic recipe back in January. Since then, I have wanted to try a gluten free version of the same cookie. The difficulty was that with the wrong flour combinations, the whole texture was just wrong. This particular cookie is all about the texture. Crisp on the outside, with a soft center, tangy from the lemon and sweet as all cookies should be. I am thrilled to have a gluten free version at last! These cookies freeze and thaw beautifully as well.
The timing for these cookies is perfect too! I’m headed to Colorado tomorrow to visit my best friend and these cookies will be tucked into my bag, along with a couple other treats I’ll share here soon! I love the way that baking special foods for my friends (and now my family) has challenged me to stretch outside my old comfort zone.
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- scant 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar reserved for rolling the cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with silpat or parchment paper and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Beat until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, xanthan gum, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just until they are combined. Place the powdered sugar in a small bowl and set aside.
- This dough should be slightly more wet than traditional cookie dough. I used a small scoop to round out balls of cookie dough and drop them directly into the powdered sugar. Using a fork, I rolled the ball gently in the sugar and them lifted it with a couple of fingers to the baking sheet. I used my hands as little as possible with this recipe.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough. Bake for about 10 minutes, or just until the bottoms of the cookies begin to brown and the cookies are no longer shiny. Remove from the oven and let rest for a minute or two before transferring to a wire rack. Store in an airtight container when completely cooled. Enjoy!