Fragrant garlic, mushrooms, onions and tomatoes are sauteed in butter and then tossed with fresh lemon juice and tender pasta. I’ve been making this pasta for company, for myself, for family and friends for so many years now. This is the first thing I think of when I want pasta.
My husband prefers this dish with some grilled chicken tossed in with the pasta, but I’m quite happy with the pasta alone. I’ve been known to make this dish just for myself on weekends when Sean was out of town. I’d happily eat it for lunch and dinner all weekend.
Lemon Butter Pasta with Mushrooms and Tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 - 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped small
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon chicken base
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- juice from 2 small lemons about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- kosher salt to taste only as needed
- 12 ounces angel hair pasta
- Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- Cook the pasta, drain and set aside. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for less than a minute, just until it is fragrant. Add the mushrooms, onions and the optional chicken base. Saute for about 5 minutes, until the mushrooms and onions are tender.
- Add the lemon juice, tomatoes and white pepper. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, until the tomatoes are warm. Divide the pasta between four plates. Pour the sauce on top of the pasta and top with cheese. Enjoy!