Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite fall side dishes. While my family does eat sweet potatoes year round, it still “feels” like sweet potatoes should be a fall dish. These bite size chunks of sweet potato are tossed with Italian spices and roasted until crisp on the outside and fluffy inside.
These potatoes are delicious on their own, but I especially liked combining them with roasted Brussels sprouts. My whole family enjoyed this dish, although my children were happy to share most of their Brussels sprouts with me and keep their potatoes. I served these potatoes with Pan Fried Italian Chicken, but they will also be great with Garlic and Herb Rubbed Pork Tenderloin or Slow Cooked Italian Red Wine Roast Beef.
- 2 large sweet potatoes or yams cut into 1/2" cubes, about 5-6 cups worth
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts sliced into halves or thirds, depending on size
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Generously grease a large baking sheet with 1 tablespoon of oil. Place the potatoes on the oiled pan and drizzle generously with 2 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt, black pepper, dried basil, thyme, and oregano. Toss with your hands to coat thoroughly. Roast for about an hour, stirring the potatoes on the tray every 15-20 minutes.
- Drizzle the Brussels sprouts with the last tablespoon of oil and sprinkle with the remaining teaspoon of salt. Add the Brussels sprouts to the potatoes in the oven after the potatoes have roasting for 40 minutes. Stir to combine and spread everything across the tray again. Roast for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes begin to brown and the brussels are bright green and lightly crisped on the edges. Enjoy!
Any kind of potato will work great in this recipe. I used light yellow sweet potatoes, but the more recognizable orange (yams) will be delicious as well. White potatoes (in place of sweet) will cook 10-15 minutes faster.