These Indian Spiced Steak Bites were inspired by the Indian Chicken Bites that we’ve been making for years now. Bite-size pieces of flat iron steak or skirt steak are tossed in a blend of oil and spices before being quickly seared in a very hot skillet. The entire cooking time is just minutes and each bite is immensely flavorful and juicy.
Steak Bites Recipe
If you’ve been reading this website for long, you’ve likely noticed that I really like to cook meat in small pieces. There’s nothing better than the way each bite winds up with an abundance of flavor after such a short cooking time. Steak Bites are one of my favorite ways to cook beef. Whether you choose to start with the original Steak Bites, Asian Steak Bites, Buttered Steak Bites with Mushrooms, or these Indian Spiced Steak Bites you won’t be disappointed.
We like to serve these Indian Spiced Steak Bites over this Carnitas Salad Bowl (just swap the pork for these steak bites), with Turmeric Butter Rice, or with these Turmeric Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans. The Indian Spiced Steak Bites are also delicious with Aloo Bhaji (Spiced Indian Potatoes with Onions and Vegetables), Aloo Gobi (Spiced Indian Cauliflower and Potatoes), or Indian Spiced Roasted Sweet Potatoes.
How To Cook Steak Bites
The perfect steak bites start with a flat iron steak or a skirt steak. You’ll want to slice the meat into bite size (less than 1-inch) pieces of meat, slicing against the grain wherever applicable. With steak bites, you’re cutting the meat into small enough pieces that that cut against the grain isn’t as crucial as in recipes where you are slicing beef into strips.
To cook steak bites, you need a screaming hot skillet. You’ll want to sear the outside of each piece quickly, leaving it juicy and medium rare inside. If your tastes lean more toward well done, you can certainly cook the meat a minute longer, but I’m telling you now that it won’t be nearly as juicy or flavorful. And that’s just the truth as spoken by a girl who used to request well done and has fully crossed over to the medium rare world of delicious beef.
Indian Spiced Steak Bites
- 1 - 1 1/2 lb skirt or flat iron steak
- 1/4 cup olive oil or melted coconut oil, divided
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Dice the steak into small pieces, approximately 1/2"-3/4" in size. Set aside. In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine 2 tablespoons oil and all of the spices. Add the diced steak and toss well to combine. Let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a heavy flat bottomed stainless skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil is shimmering, add half of the meat and spread it across the pan.
- Cook for 1 minute and then use a large spatula to flip the pieces over. Cook 1 more minute. Use a spatula to remove the meat to a plate and pour any pan juices over the meat.
- Add the last tablespoon of oil and then add the remaining meat. The entire cooking process for the meat should only take a few minutes total. Serve hot. Enjoy!