Tender green beans, baby potatoes, smoky bacon, and sweet onions are perfectly combined in this irresistibly classic southern side dish.
I served these Southern Green Beans and Potatoes along with our favorite Crispy Oven Baked Chicken. It was the perfect pairing, because the chicken finished cooking just as the potatoes were tender. The meal was a hit with my whole family.
When my friend Melissa (of Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen) told me she was writing a cookbook last year, I told her I wanted to be first on her list to review it. I received my advance copy a couple weeks ago and I’ve been flipping through it and drooling over everything since it arrived.
The cookbook, Melissa’s Southern Kitchen, is being released TODAY and you can find it here on Amazon or countless other retailers. I am so excited for her and I know that everyone is going to love it as much as I do. Whether you are looking for a full Sunday dinner or a casual weeknight supper, there is a recipe here for every occasion. With recipes like Melissa’s unforgettable Buttermilk Fried Chicken, BLT Macaroni Salad, Pecan Praline Baked Brie, and so many others, I’m going to have a lot of fun trying these recipes!
Southern Green Beans with Potatoes and Bacon
- Southern Green Beans with Potatoes and Bacon
- recipe lightly adapted from Melissa's Southern Cookbook
- Yield: 8 servings
- printable recipe
- 1/2 pound bacon cooked (3-4 tablespoons grease reserved)
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 pounds whole green beans ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons granulated garlic or garlic powder divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper divided
- 2 pounds baby potatoes halved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cook the bacon and drain on a paper towel, reserving the bacon grease. Add the bacon grease to a dutch oven or large pot on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the onion to the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the green beans, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon granulated garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, sprinkle the green beans with 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic. Arrange the potatoes over the green beans. Dot with butter and sprinkle with the remaining salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir gently and transfer to a serving dish. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the green beans and potatoes. Enjoy!
I used a combination of baby red and Dutch yellow potatoes. Any potato will work for this recipe, just make sure the pieces are roughly the same size so that they will finish cooking at the same time.
Here are a few more side dish recipes you might like:
Green Chile Queso Potatoes by Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen
Creamed Corn with Peppers and Bacon by Barefeet In The Kitchen
Maple Pan Roasted Carrots by Noble Pig
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Grapes and Walnuts by Foodie with Family
Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Warm Bacon Apple Cider Dressing by The Noshery
Rainbow Broccoli Salad by Spend with Pennies