Sweet corn, crisp bell peppers, salty bacon, a splash of hot sauce and lime are all tossed together in a simple sauce to make this Creamed Corn with Peppers and Bacon.
When I was challenged to use Philadelphia Cream Cheese in a twist on a recipe, I immediately knew which recipe I wanted to play with this time. One of my very favorite snacks is Elote (Hot Mexican Corn Dip), a recipe I’ve made countless times and adapted from Elote restaurant in Sedona, AZ.
Creamed Corn with Peppers and Bacon takes it’s inspiration from that dish, but it kicks up the vegetables and works beautifully as a side dish. However, I won’t say anything if you go ahead and serve it as a dip, just dive in with a plate of tortilla chips. I might have done that myself the second time I made this.
My family went nuts over this corn. The recipe makes a generous eight servings and we didn’t have a bite remaining after dinner. I served the Creamed Corn with Peppers and Bacon alongside Pan Fried Italian Chicken (that recipe just never gets old!) and a simple salad.
- 1/2 pound bacon cut into 1/2" pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 8 ounces Philadelphia cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice or the juice of 1 medium lime
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce I used Cholula hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the bacon over medium high heat, stirring frequently to separate, about 4-5 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined dish. Drain off most of the grease, leaving a light coating on the pan. Add the bell peppers to the hot skillet and saute over medium high heat for about a minute. Add the corn and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so, until the corn is hot.
- Push the vegetables to the sides of the pan and add the cream cheese to the bottom of the skillet. Allow it to warm and begin to melt for a minute or two and then break it up with a spatula. Continue stirring until the cream cheese has completely melted and coats the vegetables.
- Add the lime, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir well and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired. Enjoy!
The cream cheese in this recipe provides an unforgettable richness to the vegetables in just a few minutes time. It will melt right into the hot skillet and all that you'll need to do to achieve the perfect sauce is stir it together with the vegetables and seasonings.
Check out more fun recipe twists by following along on Albertson’s Pin That Twist Pinterest board. Don’t miss your chance to win $100 by visiting Albertson’s Facebook page and voting on the next ingredient in the Pin That Twist challenge!
Disclosure: I’ve partnered with Albertsons to share this recipe with you. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Barefeet In The Kitchen possible. As always, all thoughts are my own.