These are soft lemon cookies with a sweetly tart lemon glaze. I’ll be spending time with my mom this weekend and I wanted to have some sweets to snack on while the family is together.
She isn’t a big fan of chocolate, so I am always trying new recipes with her in mind. These did not disappoint. They have a mild lemon flavor and they aren’t too sweet at all. I really liked them and so did the rest of my family.
Now, if I can just keep the remaining ones safe in the freezer for a few more days!
Glazed Lemon Cookies
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4-5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 35o degrees F. Line two baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; then set aside. In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers, until fragrant.
- Cream the butter and sugar/lemon mixture together until light and fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla extract. Mix until smooth. Slowly add in flour mixture on low speed until blended.
- Drop dough by tablespoon onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Gently flatten dough with the palm of your hand. Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until cookies are just set and barely golden brown around the edges. Cool cookies on baking sheet for a minute and then transfer to cooking racks. Cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice. Dip each cookie top into the lemon glaze. Let cookies sit until icing has set. Enjoy!