All the flavor of fancy cut out gingerbread cookies in a chewy, moist (and generously topped with fluffy cream cheese frosting) Gingerbread Cookie Bar. How’s that for a wordy description? These bars are one of the greatest holiday baking ideas ever. I’ve had “make gingerbread cookies” on my holiday baking list for several years now and I never seem to get around to it.
Just thinking about rolling out cookies is enough to make me get out a bar pan and throw together a batch of brownies instead. Does that make me lazy? or just impatient? Maybe, just maybe, this will be the year I actually make cut out sugar cookies, because I totally crossed “make gingerbread cookies” off my list when I tasted these bars!
I lucked out last week and was able to get my hands on an early copy of 12 Days of Christmas with Six Sisters’ Stuff. As I was flipping through the book, these bars called to me as soon as I saw them. There are so many fun gift ideas and easy holiday recipes in this book; I’ve already made notes on several fun ideas to add to my own holiday gift lists.
Now for my favorite part! My friends at Six Sisters’ Stuff have been so kind as to offer to send a copy of their cookbook to one lucky Barefeet In The Kitchen reader. All you have to do is leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite holiday food. Don’t forget to check the box for the giveaway as well, so that I will be able to contact you! GIVEAWAY CLOSED
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Optional Frosting Ingredients:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 vanilla bean scraped
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 pan or line with parchment paper. Combine the butter, sugar, molasses, and vanilla in a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add the egg and stir again. Add the flours, baking soda, spices, and salt. Mix until well combined.
Press the dough into the prepared pan, using either a spatula or your hands to smooth it to the edges of the pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes. A toothpick inserted should come out mostly clean, with wet crumbs. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- When cooled, beat together the butter and cream cheese for the frosting. Add the powdered sugar and beat again until smooth and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract or vanilla bean and stir to mix throughout the frosting. Frost the bars, slice and serve. Store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Enjoy!