Fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, and basil are drizzled with a simple balsamic and oil dressing to make this simple Cucumber Tomato Salad. Tossed together just before serving, or made a few hours in advance, this refreshing salad is perfect for a casual dinner night or for feeding a crowd at a potluck.
Inspired by an abundance of very ripe tomatoes, this salad (like so many of our recipes) was a spur of the moment decision and it was a great one. I like to serve this Cucumber Tomato Salad with crispy chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, or a steak dinner.
This salad has become a staple on our menu plan over the past year and it’s also become one of the most popular summer recipes here on the blog. I made a quick little video last week, just for fun, so that I could share it with you today as we go into tomato season!
For even more salad inspiration, Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw and Israeli Chopped Salad are also light and refreshing. In the midst of a Phoenix summer, I can’t get enough of these salads. My friend Heidi’s Cantaloupe Mozzarella Caprese Salad has been on my radar since last year and I’m looking forward to finally trying it this week.
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatoes diced, about 2 cups worth
- 1 large English cucumber peeled, halved, and thinly sliced, about 2 cups worth
- 5 large basil leaves thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons light flavored olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, stir well to coat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Feel free to use a mix of whichever tomatoes you like best. I've used just about every kind of tomato and they all work well. This salad will keep nicely in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.