Thrown together on a whim one night while we were on the road, this Dill Pickle and Bacon Potato Salad has rapidly become our new favorite potato salad.
Filled with plenty of eggs, bacon, and pickle flavor, this bacon potato salad was a kid and adult favorite from the first bite.
Sean and I were craving potato salad, so I picked up potatoes at the store and boiled some eggs along with them. I decided to keep it really simple and we cooked hot dogs to go along with our potato salad.
I was improvising with what I had on hand in the camper and my recipe for Bacon Ranch Potato Salad turned into this Dill Pickle and Bacon Potato Salad. Sean commented that it was really good before I had even tasted it and sure enough this recipe is an absolute keeper.
I’ve made this Dill Pickle and Bacon Potato Salad almost weekly since that first time and the whole family likes it.
Well, the whole family loves this, with the exception of my youngest who doesn’t like POTATOES. How on earth does that happen? Who doesn’t like potatoes??? This kid doesn’t even love french fries. Sometimes I wonder how he is even my kid.
Side note: I like to use these bowls when I make this recipe. (The lids are great for chilling in the refrigerator.)
Potato Salad with Bacon
The first time I added bacon to a potato salad it was a game changer. We all know that bacon + potatoes is almost a guaranteed win, right?
Well, this time, I knew that I wasn’t about to cook bacon in the camper. (We would have been smelling like bacon for days!) However, I spied the real bacon crumbles at the grocery store and decided to try them in the salad.
Potato Salad Recipes
Bacon Potato Salad
Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil over high heat until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
Combine the mayonnaise, dill relish, dill, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Add the potatoes, eggs, and bacon to the bowl. Stir to mix well.
Sprinkle with green onions and stir to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Bacon Potato Salad
- 3 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 1/2-3/4 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup dill pickle relish
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, adjust to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, adjust to taste
- 1/2 cup real bacon crumbles, or 5-6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced thin
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Boil over high heat until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Combine the mayonnaise, dill relish, dill, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Add the potatoes, eggs, and bacon to the bowl. Stir to mix well.
- Sprinkle with green onions and stir to combine. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. Enjoy!