This is a cookie for the true chocolate lover. My 9 year old nephew requested a chocolate chocolate chip cookie and I couldn’t resist making it extra “chocolately” just for him. The first words out of my husband’s mouth and my mouth both were “crazy chocolate”. My nephew just grinned when he tasted them.
These are cookies best served with vanilla ice cream or a glass of milk. They are rich. One cookie or even half a cookie actually satisfies my sweets craving. I loved the over-the-top richness of these cookies and so did the rest of the family. The fact that we’ve been nibbling on them one at a time instead of a stack at a time, is a testament to how satisfying they really are!
Baking note: I used 1 cup Hershey’s Special Dark cocoa powder and 1/2 cup dutch
process Ghiradelli’s cocoa powder because that was the combination I had
on hand. Feel free to use your favorites. I also used a random combination of about 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips and 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. Use whatever combination makes you smile.
Check out all of the Gluten Free Dessert Recipes on this website!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup brown rice flour *
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch *
- 1/4 cup potato starch *
- 1 1/2 cups dark cocoa powder dutch process if possible
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- * If you are not in need of a gluten free recipe simply substitute a total of 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour for the items marked with an *
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Melt the butter in a medium size saucepan. Add the brown sugar and stir or whisk together until smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat and chill for 10 minutes in the refrigerator. Whisk together the dry ingredients while the mixture is chilling.
- Remove from the refrigerator and stir in the eggs and vanilla, stirring or whisking until smooth. Slowly add the dry ingredients in 3-4 different batches, stirring to fully combine each time. Mix in the chocolate chips and then scoop or roll into 1" balls. Place on a silpat or parchment lined baking tray and press down on each cookie with the back of a measuring cup.
- The cookies will not spread out while baking, so don't forget to press them down or you'll wind up with round puffy cookies. Press together and smooth the edges of the cookies as needed with your fingers. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the cookies no longer look wet. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling. Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!