Oh. My. Heavens. Someone needs to take the rest of these potatoes out of my house. I can not stop eating them. I tasted my friend Shannon’s mashed potatoes the other day and when I tried them, I just might have gasped.
Green chile in mashed potatoes? I never would have thought to do that. It was love at first taste and I couldn’t get them out of my head.
I came home that afternoon determined to recreate the dish. These turned out even better than I imagined and I am excited to have a brand new potato dish to serve next week. In my world, every meal is better with green chile, even Thanksgiving Dinner!
These potatoes can be made up to two days in advance. If you know that you will be refrigerating and then reheating at a later date, add a small amount extra cream or milk to the potatoes, because they do tend to dry out a bit after resting in the refrigerator. Simply prep the potatoes, top with cheese and cover with lid or foil.
When you are ready to cook them, bring them to room temperature before baking as directed above for 20-30 minutes. If they are still cold when you put them in the oven, leave the foil on the dish and bake 350 for 20-30 minutes.
Then uncover and continue baking for another 10-20 minutes to allow the cheese to melt. Test with a thermometer to ensure that the center of the dish is warm before removing from the oven.
Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Green Chile
- 5 pounds golden yellow potatoes russets would work as well, peeled and then chopped into approximately 2" pieces
- ½ cup butter soft
- ½ cup heavy cream or milk adjust the amount according to the creaminess and thickness that you prefer, milk works fine for this, the cream simply creates a more decadent dish
- 7 ounces chopped green chile
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic garlic powder works as well
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Boil them until fork tender. Drain them and then place the pot with just the potatoes back on the warm burner.
- Turn the heat to the lowest setting and begin mashing the potatoes. Once the potatoes are almost completely mashed, add the butter, cream or milk, green chile and seasonings. Continue mashing over lowest heat until the mixture is as smooth and creamy as you like. Taste and adjust flavors as desired.
- Place the potatoes in an oven safe dish and top with the shredded cheese. Bake at 350 until melted, but not browned, approximately 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
35 Comments Leave a comment or review
That first picture is sooo inviting… Like the spoon should just land in my mouth. I'm hungry for these cheesy mashed potatoes.
E @ Act Fast Chef says
I'll come over and take the rest of the mashed potatoes! They look AWESOME 🙂
Sonia (Nasi Lemak Lover) says
Look at your first photo, it is so so tempting…Thanks for sharing your friend wonderful recipes.
Sue/the view from great island says
These look fabulous, the photo is to die for. I'm not much of a mashed potato fan as they can be so dull, but these have won me over, perfect for Thanksgiving.
Oh yes, I'll have a big bowl of those potatoes, thank you!! MMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!
My Journey With Candida says
They look so good. I decided for Thanksgiving I am going to make my potatoes the day before and bake them so I don't have to be mashing them at the last minute. Mine take sour cream and maybe some cream cheese and butter.
This does look great! Mashed potatoes are my daughter's favorite! LOVE potatoes and all you can do with them! We had baked potatoes with chili and all the 'fixins' last night!
I have enjoyed my visit to your blog today,
Wow – these look amazing!
I love all the ingredients. I must try these.
This looks amazing. I don't think I could stop eating them either!
I am not that mad abotu mashed potato, but I know a man who is – saying that, I'd be happy to eat this because of the green chillies!
I just printed this out. Potatoes with cheese and chilies!?! Sign me up!
What a great idea! I'm going to try that out! I did a potato post today as well. Tiss the season for high cal side dishes!
Yummy yummy.These look so cheesy:))
On my blog till 23rd November nice giveaway
Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says
Great picture and great recipe – I want a bowl of this for dinner – YUM
I am not over-exaggerating when I say that I hate mashed potatoes. Don't ask me why but I despise them. Somehow though, these look doable. Maybe it's the green chiles? Maybe it's the cheese? But probably a combination of the two!
Green chili in mash does sound unusual but also very delicious as the same time, especially since there is cheese there also.
The Slow Roasted Italian says
These look and sound awesome Mary! I am thinking I might have all the ingredients to make a small batch of these…
Words Of Deliciousness says
Yummy sounding potatoes. It sounds so flavorful!
Green chiles and potatoes? Heck ya! If they were in my house I'd feel the same way as you.