Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and just a bit of brown sugar add a sweet and spiced flavor to these zucchini waffles. After the success of Whole Wheat Zucchini Waffles last week, I couldn’t wait to try a new variation of them.
We enjoyed these every bit as much as the first waffles we made with zucchini. The baby has had a waffle with his fruit every morning this week. Straight from the freezer and just a minute in the microwave or toaster, these are delicious.
With the additional spices in these waffles, I really enjoyed them with Waffle Sauce. My boys had a great time pouring waffle sauce on top and then grating nutmeg all over theirs as well.
Brown Sugar and Spice Whole Wheat Zucchini Waffles
- 3 medium zucchinis approximately 4 cups shredded, closer to 2 cups after the water is pressed out.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour I used freshly ground hard white wheat
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk I used the whey leftover after making butter, plain milk is fine as well
- 1/2 cup olive oil light flavor
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the waffle iron. Shred the zucchini and then place it on a clean dishtowel. Lay a second dishtowel on top; press the moisture out of the zucchini and set aside. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and whisk again to combine. Add the zucchini and stir gently to combine.
- If you are using fresh whole wheat, let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes before cooking the waffles. Letting it rest allows the fresh wheat to absorb more of the liquid and it will thicken the batter.
- Grease the waffle iron in-between batches. I keep butter right beside the waffle iron and just run it across the plates right before pouring the next waffle. I also like to keep the cooked waffles on a wire rack in the oven set at 200 degrees, while I am cooking the rest of the waffles. This way everything stays hot and crisp while we wait to eat together. Enjoy!
- FREEZER MEAL: Let the waffles cool completely before storing them in an airtight freezer bag. Reheat them in the toaster or in the microwave.
16 Comments Leave a comment or review
Quay Po Cooks says
Mary, looking at your delicious waffle, it is time to bring out my waffle iron! This is a wonderful waffle recipe! Thanks for sharing:D
Becki's Whole Life says
This is such a great recipe and a much healthier way to eat waffles between the zucchini and the ww flour. I see you used your waffle sauce. I actually made it right after you posted it and we loved it. My youngest really did and said, "mommy, this tastes like frosting!!" I don't think it's quite that sweet, but it was super yummmy on our german pancakes.
My Journey With Candida says
Oh Mary…. you make the most amazing things. I can't do the brown sugar, but I can replace it with xylitol or stevia.
Wow!! you make your own butter too. My mom used to do that.
zucchini + waffles = brilliant! I'll definitely have to try this! Thanks for the recipe.
no spring chicken says
This is so different and looks amazing! Love the waffle sauce too. Thanks!
Barefeet In The Kitchen says
Becki, I am so happy that you liked it! I love hearing that people have enjoyed my recipes.
YUM! Very nice and good, I'm sure!
Reem | Simply Reem says
OMG these looks delicious!!!! Such a unique idea Zucchini Waffle, lovely….
YOu are so talented 🙂
I want those waffles right now!! I feel like I can already smell them….. 🙂
Oh no you didn't! I thought I was dreaming when I saw waffles twice in one week! Fabulous!!! 😉
Words Of Deliciousness says
Wow, these look delicious. I bet they taste great.
Hello..first time coming by… nice yummylicious blog you have here..
The Slow Roasted Italian says
Very pretty waffles miss mary!
Stenley Simpson says
I always like waffles Mary… The crispiness of waffles makes me its fan. Thanks you for sharing this recipe.
–whey protein isolate
I'm confused. What is the white sauce/syrup on the waffles?
There is a link above for the vanilla waffle sauce that we love. Here's a direct link: https://barefeetinthekitchen.com/2011/07/waffles-with-waffle-sauce.html Enjoy!