Cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and just a bit of brown sugar add a sweet and spiced flavor to these zucchini waffles. After the success of Whole Wheat Zucchini Waffles last week, I couldn’t wait to try a new variation of them.
We enjoyed these every bit as much as the first waffles we made with zucchini. The baby has had a waffle with his fruit every morning this week. Straight from the freezer and just a minute in the microwave or toaster, these are delicious.
With the additional spices in these waffles, I really enjoyed them with Waffle Sauce. My boys had a great time pouring waffle sauce on top and then grating nutmeg all over theirs as well.
- 3 medium zucchinis approximately 4 cups shredded, closer to 2 cups after the water is pressed out.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour I used freshly ground hard white wheat
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk I used the whey leftover after making butter, plain milk is fine as well
- 1/2 cup olive oil light flavor
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat the waffle iron. Shred the zucchini and then place it on a clean dishtowel. Lay a second dishtowel on top; press the moisture out of the zucchini and set aside. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium size bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and whisk again to combine. Add the zucchini and stir gently to combine.
- If you are using fresh whole wheat, let the batter rest for 5-10 minutes before cooking the waffles. Letting it rest allows the fresh wheat to absorb more of the liquid and it will thicken the batter.
- Grease the waffle iron in-between batches. I keep butter right beside the waffle iron and just run it across the plates right before pouring the next waffle. I also like to keep the cooked waffles on a wire rack in the oven set at 200 degrees, while I am cooking the rest of the waffles. This way everything stays hot and crisp while we wait to eat together. Enjoy!
- FREEZER MEAL: Let the waffles cool completely before storing them in an airtight freezer bag. Reheat them in the toaster or in the microwave.