As much as my boys love oatmeal, they love hot rice cereal almost as much. Tender brown rice with sweet apricots and honey simmered in milk is a breakfast that I would happily eat every week. The apricots add a great deal of sweetness to this dish that balances the heartier brown rice nicely.
I try to make rice cereal with brown rice when possible. (I typically cook the rice the night before and then store it in the fridge until I need it.) I’ve made this with Jasmine rice as well and it is sweeter, with a softer texture. It definitely tastes more like a dessert that way.
Apricot Brown Rice Pudding
- 3 cups cooked brown rice white rice can also be used
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons honey plus more for topping if desired
- pinch of kosher salt
- 15 dried apricot halves chopped small, about ¾ cup worth
- Optional: sliced almonds for topping
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the milk is mostly absorbed and the rice mixture has thickened. This should take about 5-6 minutes. Divide mixture into bowls and top with almonds and an additional drizzle of honey, if desired. Enjoy!