These are rich, sweet, nutty cookies packed with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Browning the butter gives these cookies chewy buttery centers along with nice crisp edges.
If you aren’t a fan of white chocolate, use your favorite chocolate instead. If you love white chocolate, the combination of macadamia nuts and sweet vanilla can’t be beat.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour *
- 1 cup tapioca starch *
- 1/2 cup potato starch *
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips white, dark or semi-sweet
- Only as needed: 1-2 tablespoons milk
- * If you are not in need of a gluten free cookie you can substitute 2 3/4 cups AP flour for the items marked with an *
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan or pot over medium heat. Stir occasionally as it melts, to prevent parts of it from foaming before all of the butter has melted. Continue cooking the butter until it foams and then a few moments past
- that it will turn a light brown color. Lightly whisk it as it continues to turn a deeper brown color. (Be careful not to let it
- overcook, as burnt butter, with light brown specks that will turn black,
- is not a good thing.) Once the butter has darkened to a deep golden brown, remove it from the heat and add the brown sugar. Whisk to combine and continue whisking for a minute or so, until it is mostly smooth. Add the vanilla and eggs and continue whisking until smooth.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring to combine. ONLY if your mixture is crumbly, add about a tablespoon of milk. Do not add the milk if your mixture already resembles cookie dough. (Sometimes the dough requires more moisture and other times it will not.) Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for at least 2 hours before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Scoop the dough onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-9 minutes and remove from the oven when the cookies are just barely browned at the edges. They should be slightly puffed, but still soft. Let cool for just a minute on the tray and then transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy!