These are rich, sweet, nutty cookies packed with white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts. Browning the butter gives these cookies chewy buttery centers along with nice crisp edges.
If you aren’t a fan of white chocolate, use your favorite chocolate instead. If you love white chocolate, the combination of macadamia nuts and sweet vanilla can’t be beat.
Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Macadamia Nut Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- ¾ cup chocolate chips white, dark or semi-sweet
- Only as needed: 1-2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cups brown rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca starch
- ½ cup potato starch
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan or pot over medium heat. Stir occasionally as it melts, to prevent parts of it from foaming before all of the butter has melted. Continue cooking the butter until it foams and then a few moments past that it will turn a light brown color. Lightly whisk it as it continues to turn a deeper brown color. (Be careful not to let it overcook, as burnt butter, with light brown specks that will turn black, is not a good thing.)
- Once the butter has darkened to a deep golden brown, remove it from the heat and add the brown sugar. Whisk to combine and continue whisking for a minute or so, until it is mostly smooth. Add the vanilla and eggs and continue whisking until smooth.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring to combine. ONLY if your mixture is crumbly, add about a tablespoon of milk. Do not add the milk if your mixture already resembles cookie dough. (Sometimes the dough requires more moisture and other times it will not.) Stir in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for at least 2 hours before baking. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Scoop the dough onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet. Bake for 8-9 minutes and remove from the oven when the cookies are just barely browned at the edges. They should be slightly puffed, but still soft. Let cool for just a minute on the tray and then transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy!
Calories: 164kcal · Carbohydrates: 19g · Protein: 2g · Fat: 9g · Saturated Fat: 4g · Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g · Monounsaturated Fat: 4g · Trans Fat: 0.2g · Cholesterol: 23mg · Sodium: 112mg · Potassium: 41mg · Fiber: 1g · Sugar: 11g · Vitamin A: 179IU · Vitamin C: 0.1mg · Calcium: 19mg · Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!
10 Comments Leave a comment or review
Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover says
Look at your yummy cookies, I wish to have some right now!
How yummy do these look? I love brown butter in cookies. That nutty flavor is insanely delish!
[email protected] eco friendly homemaking says
Oh these look so delicious! White chocolate and macadamia nuts what an awesome combination!!
Liz Berg says
These look amazing, Mary! I'm such a cookie monster 🙂
Chris Scheuer says
I could definitely not be trusted with a batch of these in the house! They look amazing Mary, all of my favorite stuff!
Oh my, those look and sound amazing! I'd like a dozen or so right now… and yes, I would eat them all!!! 🙂
Tricia @ Saving room for dessert says
I'm in – these are beautiful cookies. I got so busy for a few days and missed so much. You post all these amazing recipes and I'm still trying to get one up! You rock Mary!
Becki's Whole Life says
Oh wow. Macadamia nuts are great in yummy buttery cookies! That shot of the broken cookie at the bottom looks soooo good!
Made these to day and I am not impressed. Will not make them again.
Love these cookies! We used dark chocolate chips instead of white chocolate. This is a total keeper. Thanks!