Crisp potatoes, scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon, onions and red peppers made for a terrific hot breakfast. I was craving Huevos Rancheros, but I needed to work with what was in the house. I didn’t have any pre-baked potatoes in the refrigerator and I definitely did not have time to roast potatoes. So, it was time to break out the frozen potatoes. I’m looking forward to trying potatoes in the dehydrator soon. I’d love to have them available in the house whenever I need them.
- 2 cups southern style hash browns or frozen diced potatoes
- 8 eggs lightly scrambled in a bowl and set aside
- 8 thin slices Canadian bacon
- 2 tablespoons diced red bell peppers or rehydrated thinly sliced 1" long strips
- 1/2 small yellow onion diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Optional: Salsa
- Drizzle olive oil into a heated non-stick skillet. Pour frozen potatoes into the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring infrequently. Cook until browned and crispy. Season with salt and pepper. When the potatoes are done, remove them to a bowl and set aside.
- Toss the onions and the rehydrated or fresh bell peppers into the skillet. Cook until onions are translucent and peppers are warmed. Remove those from the pan. I just set them on top of the waiting potatoes. Cut the Canadian bacon into 3/4" inch pieces and warm them in the skillet. This should only take a few moments. Set the bacon aside with the potatoes and veggies.
- Pour eggs into the hot skillet and scramble lightly. When the eggs are almost done, add the waiting items into the skillet along with them. Toss everything together gently.
- Serve with Zucchini Bread for a great breakfast.