Rich with butter and cream, aromatic and seasoned very simply with salt, pepper and thyme. These potatoes were simply delicious. Mashed potatoes are always a favorite for our family, but this was a step above the average.
Serve the potatoes with Balsamic Butter Sauce instead of gravy – so good!
There was almost nothing left to send with my husband for his lunch the next day. My oldest son has already requested a repeat of this meal for his birthday.
Thyme Mashed Potatoes
Recipe adapted from and with thanks to Bon Appetit via Epicurious.com
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes approximately 5-6 medium size potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 4-8 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 ½ tablespoon fresh
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Wash and dice potatoes into 1-2 inch chunks. (We enjoy mashed potatoes with the skins, if you prefer a smoother mashed potato, peel them first.) Boil the potatoes in water until tender (approximately 20 minutes). Drain and return to pot over very low heat. Add butter, 4 tablespoons cream and thyme. Mashed with a potato masher until desired consistency. We prefer a chunky "smashed" potato, not smooth at all. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- These can be served immediately or they can be made ahead and then allowed to stand at room temperature for an hour or two. Warm over medium heat, stirring often and adding more cream as needed if the potatoes are dry. Serve warm and drizzled with Balsamic Butter Sauce. Enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!
18 Comments Leave a comment or review
The Blonde Duck says
I'm a sucker for mashed potatoes!
The Slow Roasted Italian says
This looks great! I love herbed mashed potatoes.
My Journey With Candida says
Hmmmmm… never thought of thyme in my potatoes. I love Yukon Gold potatoes, so tasty. I use thyme for healing also. Now I can eat my potatoes and heal at the same time. LOL
Angie's Recipes says
Love mashed potatoes too! I could finish the whole plate just with some gravy!
Emily Malloy says
I made a balsamic butter sauce last night!
This is delicious looking.
The Starving Student says
Call me crazy but I hate mashed potatoes. However with a balsamic butter sauce, you may be able to convert me!
I am yet to have my lunch .. waiting for hubby to come home. This is a bad time to blog hop and drooling here looking at this.
I also like to put .add herbs or olive oil or cheese to my mashed potatoes.It just tastes better;)
The sauce is so dark I thought it was hot fudge sauce!
I'm no fan of potatoes, but my kids just love them! The basil sounds like a good idea.
Did I ask you this already? I feel like I probably did. Anyhoo, where oh where did you get those placemats? I. MUST. HAVE. THEM.
Words Of Deliciousness says
These mashed potatoes sound so good. I like the thyme with the mashed potatoes, it sounds like a good combination.
Oh yummy. Mashed potatoes has to be one of my favourite comfort foods. With my first child, the first trimester of pregnancy consisted mainly of mashed potatoes for almost every meal – on their own. I was very sick with morning sickness and it was all I could keep down and want to eat.
We're having chicken kiev tonight so I might have to have a go at making these to go with them…
I can't wait for the Balsamic sauce!!! 😉
Mmm thyme in mashed potatoes sounds like the perfect way to make this comfort food even MORE comfort food-esque!
Dee at Deelicious Sweets says
I'm putting in a request for this for my birthday too! 12/6, mark your calendar!
Sounds fantastic! However, I'm eyeing the fish on that plate…any chance that recipe's coming up soon
This potato recipe is delicious! you just can’t go wrong with it!
Mary Younkin says
I’m glad you like the potatoes!