Rich with butter and cream, aromatic and seasoned very simply with salt, pepper and thyme. These potatoes were simply delicious. Mashed potatoes are always a favorite for our family, but this was a step above the average. There was almost nothing left to send with my husband for his lunch the next day. My oldest son has already requested a repeat of this meal for his birthday.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes approximately 5-6 medium size potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 4-8 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 1/2 tablespoon fresh
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Wash and dice potatoes into 1-2 inch chunks. (We enjoy mashed potatoes with the skins, if you prefer a smoother mashed potato, peel them first.) Boil the potatoes in water until tender (approximately 20 minutes). Drain and return to pot over very low heat. Add butter, 4 tablespoons cream and thyme. Mashed with a potato masher until desired consistency. We prefer a chunky "smashed" potato, not smooth at all. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- These can be served immediately or they can be made ahead and then allowed to stand at room temperature for an hour or two. Warm over medium heat, stirring often and adding more cream as needed if the potatoes are dry. Serve warm and drizzled with Balsamic Butter Sauce. Enjoy!