Steak Queso Dip is creamy, spicy, smooth, cheesy and fully loaded with tender bites of steak. This queso is better than anything they’re serving at your favorite Mexican restaurant.
What is Queso?
In Spanish, “queso” translates simply to “cheese.” However, in the United States, queso usually refers to a hot cheesy dip. It’s often made with Mexican spices and served as an appetizer or party food alongside tortilla chips.
We devoured this cheesy dip with tortilla chips the first time we made it and I couldn’t resist making it again a few nights later. The first time I made it we dipped the tortilla chips directly into the bowl, scooping up plenty of gooey cheesy goodness and flavorful bites of steak.
The next night, we poured the Steak Queso right overtop of the chips to make some of the best Nachos ever.
There is just enough heat in this Steak Queso Dip to keep you coming back for one more bite. If you like it extra hot, I recommend doubling up on the jalapeños.
How to Make Queso
We still absolutely love the original Restaurant-Style Queso I’ve shared here before. That recipe is a wonderful place to start if you’re looking for a queso that mimics the kind served at many Tex-Mex restaurants.
Steak Queso, however this is a very hearty queso that can easily be a meal along with some chips on the side.
Aside from grilling the steak, this queso is made entirely in the microwave! You simply combine white cheese with chiles, jalapenos, milk and dried cumn in a bowl and nuke the whole thing for a few minutes.
Be sure to pause cooking every minute or so to stir the ingredients. Don’t worry if it looks watery at first. I promise the dip will thicken as it cooks.
Slices of tender steak get mixed into the finished cheese dip before serving.
Steak Queso Dip
Easy homemade queso is a wonderful way to use leftover steak! Next time you’re grilling, set aside an extra steak so that you can make this Steak Queso Dip. You will not regret it.
I recommend cooking the steak no more than medium or medium rare. The more tender the steak, the better it will taste when combined with the cheese dip.
Also make sure you’re using plain white American cheese slices (like the ones found in the deli section of your grocery store), not the shelf-stable product with a similar name.
Steak Queso Dip is hearty and filling enough for a meal and is also a spectacular party food. I can’t wait to bring it to my next gathering and watch it disappear from the buffet table!
Steak Queso Dip
- ½ pound sliced white American cheese roughly torn or chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chile frozen or canned will work fine
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeño slices diced fine
- 1 tablespoon juice from the pickled jalapeños
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- 8-12 ounces grilled steak warm or room temperature
- Combine the cheese, green chiles, jalapeños, jalapeño juice, milk, water, and cumin in a medium size glass bowl. Microwave for five minutes, pausing to stir after every minute. The dip will be very watery at first, but it will thicken as it finishes cooking.
- While the dip is cooking, slice the steak as thinly as possible and then cut into bite-size pieces. Add the steak to the queso when it finishes cooking. Stir to combine and let rest 3-5 minutes before serving. Serve hot with chips for dipping. Enjoy!