The smokiness of the salmon combines perfectly with the tangy horseradish sauce and the warm skillet of potatoes and eggs.
This dish was immediately bumped to the top of our favorites list. I am going to be a very sad girl when the drawers of smoked salmon in my refrigerator and freezer are empty!
To say this was delicious really doesn’t even describe it. The entire table cleaned their plates within minutes and two of my boys asked for more.
Potato hash is one of my family’s favorite foods. I make it in one form or another at least once a month. However, this hash took our usual meal to a completely new level.
Smoked Salmon and Red Potato Hash
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped small
- 4 large red potatoes about 1 ½ lbs, diced very small, about 1/4" pieces
- 4 eggs hard-boiled, peeled and roughly chopped
- 4-6 ounces hot smoked salmon broken into flakes
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 green onion sliced thin, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper. to taste
- Optional: lemon slices for serving not really optional, I loved the lemon here!
- If your eggs aren't already cooked, boil them now. Heat the oil in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add the potatoes and onions and toss to coat with oil. Season with salt and pepper and then spread across the bottom of the pan. Cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes or so. When the potatoes are browned and cooked through, remove from the heat.
- While the potatoes are cooking, stir together the sour cream, horseradish, dill weed, onion and parsley in a small bowl. Add the salmon and stir to combine. Gently stir the salmon mixture into the potatoes when they are finished cooking. Add the chopped eggs and stir gently. Let this rest in the pan for 5 minutes prior to serving. The heat from the potatoes will warm everything through. Serve with lemon juice sprinkled on top if you desire. Enjoy!
8 Comments Leave a comment or review
I am always looking for new ways to serve potatoes and this is perfect.
Thanks for the idea!!
I LOVE smoked salmon and this hash sounds like just the thing I'd want to eat for breakfast!
Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says
I'm absolutely going to make this tomorrow – you've combined my very favorite things – it sounds divine!
Words Of Deliciousness says
This sounds wonderful. I love all the ingredients in this hash. I can see why everyone cleared their plates.
Tricia @ saving room for dessert says
I love your hash recipes especially those with salmon! Love horseradish too – this sounds like a winner!
I'll have to keep this in mind for when we have leftover salmon. Although, that is rare, my boys inhale that stuff, lol.
Carrie's Experimental Kitchen says
Good morning, I featured this recipe on my blog today for my weekly seafood round-up. The photographs are stunning, thank you for allowing me to share! Here is the link: http://carriesexperimentalkitchen.blogspot.com/2012/09/seafood-frenzy-friday-week-33_7.html
Orthotics Calgary says
Sooo yummy! I prepared some for dinner and my hubby loves it! Thanks for the recipe Mary.