Purple, red and yellow potatoes, red and green bell peppers and yellow onions are cooked together into a colorful and flavorful dish perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. When I saw the variety of potatoes at the market this morning, I couldn’t resist the idea of making a multicolored skillet.
I love having potatoes with breakfast in the morning. Well, technically, I would love having potatoes with most of my meals.
By taking the time to prep them in advance, I just heat as many as we need when we are ready to eat them. These potatoes are great as a dinner side dish, as a simple lunch or tossed into scrambled eggs for a hearty breakfast.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 potatoes I used a purple, red and a yukon gold, diced into 1/4" pieces, about 3 cups total
- 1 bell pepper I used 1/2 each red and green, chopped small
- 1 small yellow onion chopped small
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt adjust to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper adjust to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions and potatoes. Stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper and stir again. Spread potatoes across the skillet and let cook for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes and then spreading the potatoes out again. You want the potatoes to get brown and crispy on the sides.
- Add the peppers and stir to combine. Continue cooking, stirring every few minutes for another 5-10 minutes. Taste and season as needed. Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate until ready to serve. To reheat, simply warm them in a skillet over medium heat until hot again. Enjoy!