Roasted pineapple and sweet potatoes? This sounded too interesting not to try. I had half a pineapple left in the refrigerator. So, I happily made this the very same night that I saw the recipe in this month’s issue of Everyday Food. I served this with simple ham steaks and it was absolutely perfect.
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1" pieces (next time I won't bother peeling them)
- 1/2 of a huge pineapple or 1 medium pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1" pieces
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or another flavorless oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine the sweet potatoes and pineapple in a medium size bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss gently to coat. Sprinkle with spices and toss again. Spread the pieces across a greased baking sheet or a silpat mat lined baking sheet. Bake until the pieces are tender and starting to brown, approximately 30-35 minutes. Stir every 10-15 minutes. (I'm planning to cook mine a bit longer next time and allow the potatoes to begin to crisp a bit. These were delicious as they were, but I think they will be even better a bit more browned.)