I love the convenience of a one dish meal that combines meat, potato and vegetables. Roasted red potatoes and brussels sprouts are tossed with sauteed mushrooms, roast chicken and bits of bacon for this simple casserole style dinner.
The combination is a savory blend of great flavors. Because everything is cut bite-size, each bite is full of all the different flavors. The whole family enjoyed this meal and there wasn’t a bit of food left on any of our plates.
(The single serving I hid away in the refrigerator was every bit as good the following day as well!)
Roasted Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts, Mushrooms and Chicken
- 1 lb brussels sprouts about 3 cups trimmed and halved
- 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes about 3 cups diced small
- 1/2 lb bacon cut in 1" pieces
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped small
- 8-10 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms washed, dried and quartered
- 1-2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese or your favorite cheese blend
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the potatoes across a large baking sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast potatoes for 30-40 minutes, until fork tender and slightly browned and crisp on the edges.
- Prep the brussels sprouts while the potatoes are roasting. Drizzle them lightly with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add them to the tray with the potatoes and roast until the edges are browned and crisp.
- While the potatoes and brussels sprouts are roasting, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat.When it is brown and crisp, remove it to a paper towel lined plate. Drain most of the oil, leaving just 1-2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms, toss to coat and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the chicken and stir to coat. Let the mushrooms cook another minute or two while the chicken warms.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Add the roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts to the skillet along with the cooked bacon, stir and transfer to a 9x13 baking dish. Top with cheese and place in the oven. Bake for about 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!
10 Comments Leave a comment or review
Jenn S says
Ooohhh, this sounds amazing! Even with Brussels sprouts 🙂 Actually this may be exactly the way that you could get me to eat them!!
This sounds so simple and delicious! I'm very happy to have come upon your food inspiring blog, so good for new ideas in the kitchen! Many thanks to you!
Tricia @ Saving room for dessert says
That looks about perfect to me!
Sue/the view from great island says
If I had my way all meals would be one pot meals—this looks like one of your classics, Mary!
Chris Scheuer says
Yum! All my favorite foods in one dish. This could get to be a habit!
Sherri @ The Well Floured Kitchen says
This looks incredible, can't wait to try!
I adore one dish meals like this!
We loved this dish!
I’ve never posted a comment but this is spot on. Been a staple in our house for months now. This meal pleases our sometimes picky kids and also makes for a great lunch the next day. Also great that we can add in whatever needs used up. Have added carrots, bell peppers, parsnips, all just blend in perfectly.
Mary Younkin says
That’s awesome, Aaron! I’m thrilled that you’re enjoying the recipe so much.