I love the convenience of a one dish meal that combines meat, potato and vegetables. Roasted red potatoes and brussels sprouts are tossed with sauteed mushrooms, roast chicken and bits of bacon for this simple casserole style dinner. The combination is a savory blend of great flavors. Because everything is cut bite-size, each bite is full of all the different flavors. The whole family enjoyed this meal and there wasn’t a bit of food left on any of our plates. (The single serving I hid away in the refrigerator was every bit as good the following day as well!)
- 1 lb brussels sprouts about 3 cups trimmed and halved
- 1 1/2 lbs small red potatoes about 3 cups diced small
- 1/2 lb bacon cut in 1" pieces
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped small
- 8-10 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms washed, dried and quartered
- 1-2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese or your favorite cheese blend
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread the potatoes across a large baking sheet and lightly drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Roast potatoes for 30-40 minutes, until fork tender and slightly browned and crisp on the edges.
- Prep the brussels sprouts while the potatoes are roasting. Drizzle them lightly with oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Add them to the tray with the potatoes and roast until the edges are browned and crisp.
- While the potatoes and brussels sprouts are roasting, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium high heat.When it is brown and crisp, remove it to a paper towel lined plate. Drain most of the oil, leaving just 1-2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet. Add the mushrooms, toss to coat and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Cook over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the chicken and stir to coat. Let the mushrooms cook another minute or two while the chicken warms.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Add the roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts to the skillet along with the cooked bacon, stir and transfer to a 9x13 baking dish. Top with cheese and place in the oven. Bake for about 5 minutes, until the cheese has melted. Enjoy!