This is such a fun recipe. I made zucchini sticks years ago and had more or less forgotten about them, until I was staring down more squash this past week. I’ve made them twice since then and I am likely to make them again before the summer is finished.
I’ve made them with and without the Parmesan (trust me, you want the cheese) and they are delicious. Crisp on the outside and roasted on the inside, just make sure they are fully cooked before you remove them from the oven.
Note to self: Check with a fork next time. Having to toss them back in to finish cooking during dinnertime is never fun.
- 2 large zucchini sliced into thin sticks and then patted dry
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan shredded
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Marinara sauce warmed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a large baking sheet or line with a silpat mat. Slice the zucchini and pat it dry. Combine the crumbs, cheese and seasoning in a small bowl. Sprinkle the zucchini with salt and pepper and then dip in the egg mixture. Press the egg-dipped zucchini into the dry crumbs on all sides, until the zucchini is completely covered in crumbs. Set the breaded zucchini sticks on the baking sheet, skin side down.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the sticks turn golden brown.