Mushroom salsa? Really? Yes, really. It sounded so outrageous that I just had to try it. This recipe is from a not yet released cookbook that is currently being reviewed by my friend, Sue. This recipe is part of the #MuyBuenoCookbook Spotlight that is hosted by Heather at girlichef.
When I saw Sue’s post for this salsa earlier this week, I admit that it sounded bizarre. With an abundance of mushrooms in the refrigerator and curiosity that tends to get the best of me, this salsa was destined to happen sooner than later.
It was FANTASTIC! I am still surprised by how much we enjoyed it.
Mushrooms are perfect in this salsa for a couple of reasons. They add a chewiness to what is normally a very soft and rather untextured condiment.
They also do not have a lot of flavor on their own; however, they absorb the flavors of whatever they are paired with. The result is a fantastically flavorful salsa with a terrific texture as well!
I made this early in the day and planned to have my husband taste it that night. My kids and I “accidentally” ate over half of this salsa within minutes of making it. I had to hide away the last of it so that I wouldn’t be tempted to finish it off before he could sample it.
Mushroom Jalapeno Salsa
- 8 ounces baby bella or white buttom mushrooms finely diced
- 1/2 small red onion very finely diced
- 1 jalapeno very finely diced
- 1 tablespoon finely diced fresh cilantro adjust to your taste
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice this was the juice of two large limes
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss gently to combine. Let sit at room temperature for a couple hours allowing the flavors to meld. Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!