Plenty of fresh herbs combined with just a touch of lemon, to make this a terrific light lunch dish. I had so much fun clipping herbs and squash in the garden this morning. I couldn’t resist using some of the harvest in our lunch.
Grilled Lemon Lime Chicken would pair perfectly with this for a heartier meal. I rarely make quinoa, because my two older boys aren’t big fans of it. I had forgotten how delicious quinoa can be!
My youngest ate a full serving of this though and was as happy as I was with this meal.
Lemon Herb Quinoa with Summer Squash
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 scant cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 2-3 cups crookneck squash or yellow zucchini chopped into 1/2" - 1" chunks
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice more if desired
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano I used Mexican oregano, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic chives or regular chives minced
- Optional: freshly grated Parmesan
- Combine quinoa and water in a small saucepan covered with a lid. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer about 12 minutes, until the quinoa is softened and still has a bite to it. Remove from heat, remove lid, fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium high heat. Add the squash and cook just a few minutes until barely tender and still crisp. Add salt and pepper to the squash and then add the cooked quinoa. Stir gently to combine. Cook just another minute or two and add the lemon juice to taste. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Add the fresh herbs and toss to combine. Serve with freshly grated Parmesan over the top. Garnish plates with lemon wedges if a stronger lemon flavor is desired. Enjoy!
4 Comments Leave a comment or review
Tricia @ saving room for dessert says
You know I love quinoa, and lemon and squash! This sounds perfect. What's not to love 🙂
Words Of Deliciousness says
I have never eaten quinoa before. This dish does look like it would be very tasty. I will have to quinoa a try soon.
Simple fresh flavored meals like this are EXACTLY why I love warm weather! Everything is in bloom and tastes so delicious, you need little more than fresh produce.
Summery indeed! Looks fresh and delish.