I quickly tossed this together the other night when I realized that I didn’t have a side dish planned for our meal. It was just chilly enough outside I didn’t feel like serving a salad.
Fresh fennel and frozen corn were sauteed just until crisply tender and then finished with a squeeze of lemon. The parsley gave it a lovely fresh twist and brightened the dish as well.
Lemon Fresh Fennel and Corn Skillet
Servings: 2 -4 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb washed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups of frozen corn I used organic white kernels, but any variety should be good
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- small handful fresh Italian parsley leaves chopped
- Optional: freshly grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium high heat. Add the fennel and corn and toss to coat. Saute until crisp and tender, about 6-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add lemon juice and toss to coat. Remove from the heat. If desired, sprinkle lightly with cheese immediately before serving.
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!
12 Comments Leave a comment or review
The Blonde Duck says
I've never tried fennel!
I still have never cooked with fennel….I need to fix that!
Very fresh! I love fennel and often forget to use it.
The Slow Roasted Italian says
Now this looks like a vegetable dish I would love! I can only imagine the flavors with the fennel, parsley and lemon added to corn.
This is a flavor combination I would of never thought to use but I love it! Fennel is so overlooked! I bet this is delicious.
Words Of Deliciousness says
I love corn and this would be a great way to serve it.
Kit @ i-lostinausten says
Great combination! I love corn & fennel so this is a winner for me! YUM!
My wife Liz has opened my eyes to all the great uses of fennel, but we haven't done a combination of fennel and corn. Sounds great!
The Harried Cook says
I only recently discovered the joys of cooking with fennel and I am grateful for another delicious recipe to add to my list! This sounds absolutely delicious… I love the citrus hit!
Sounds like a great side dish, Mary, very creative for spur of the moment menu planning.
Absolutely fantastic! It was so good, my husband and I each saved it as the last bite of our meal! Thank you!
Mary Younkin says
Glad you and your husband enjoyed it, Lorraine.