Lemon Coffee Cake with a crunchy sprinkled sugar topping is perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning, a scoop of ice cream in the afternoon, or on it’s own for a late night snack.
I’m thrilled to have partnered with In The Raw® to bring you some amazing new recipes over the coming months. I’m already a huge fan of Sugar In The Raw, it has been my go to coffee sweetener for quite a while now. I can hardly wait to play with In The Raw’s newest products and share them with you this year!
This moist, sweetly tart Lemon Coffee Cake highlights a sprinkling of In The Raw’s brand new organic white cane sugar crystals to create a one of a kind slightly crunchy topping. Served with or without the optional Warm Lemon Butter Glaze, this is a dessert that will be remembered.
Check out all of the Gluten Free Dessert Recipes on this website!
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup Sugar In The Raw Organic White Cane Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest approximately 2 large lemons worth of zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour *
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch *
- 1/4 cup potato starch *
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum *
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- * If you are not in need of a gluten free recipe simply substitute a total of (1) cup all purpose flour for the items marked with an *
- Topping Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour or all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tablespoon Sugar In The Raw Organic White Cane Sugar
- Optional - Warm Lemon Butter Glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 - 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8" square pan with butter. Beat the butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy, about 7 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add the eggs, mixing just until combined.
- Combine the flour, starches, xanthan, and baking powder in a bowl. Add half the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the yogurt, mix again, and add the remaining dry ingredients. Mix just until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the flour and brown sugar for the topping in a small bowl and add the melted butter. Stir lightly with a fork to combine, just until it crumbles into streusel like crumbs. Scatter the crumbs over the batter in the pan. Sprinkle with a tablespoons of cane sugar. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Let cool before slicing.
- If desired, combine the glaze ingredients in a small glass bowl just before serving the cake. Warm them in the microwave for 30 seconds, until the butter has melted. Whisk until smooth and then drizzle over the slices of cake. Enjoy!
Disclosure: I’ve partnered with Sugar In The Raw to share their latest products with you this year. Thank you for supporting the brands that make Barefeet In The Kitchen possible. As always, all thoughts are my own.
Sugar In The Raw Organic White® is from the maker of Sugar In The Raw® and is part of the In The Raw® family of sweeteners, which also includes zero-calorie Stevia In The Raw®, Monk Fruit In The Raw®, and Agave In The Raw®. Find the nearest retailer of In The Raw products here. @InTheRaw #InTheRaw