This cake. Hershey’s Perfect One Bowl Chocolate Cake is truly the most versatile and easiest chocolate cake recipe I have ever made. For years, I’ve seen the recipe on the side of the Hershey’s cocoa box. On a whim, I decided to try making a gluten free version of the well-known chocolate cake a few weeks ago. It turned out beautifully the very first time and I have made this cake three more times since then. (Clearly, we’ve had several occasions for dessert lately!) There is nothing quite like having a lightning fast cake recipe that turns out perfectly every single time.
The cake is sturdy enough to hold together in layers, as cupcakes or to slice as a bundt cake. I’ve made this as cupcakes and topped them with Fresh Strawberry Frosting. I’ve made a layer cake filled with the strawberry frosting, a layer of berries and then topped with the chocolate frosting. I’ve made two bundt cakes and simply poured the warm frosting over the cake. Every way I’ve served this cake, it has disappeared in no time at all!
Check out all of the Gluten Free Dessert Recipes on this website!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice flour *
- 1/2 cup potato starch *
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch *
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum *
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup light flavored olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- * If you are not in need of a gluten free recipe substitute a total of 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour for the items marked with an *
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips 6 ounces worth
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan and lightly flour it with a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder. (Alternatively, grease (2) 9" round pans or prepare (24) cupcake liners.)
- Stir together all of the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat with a mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the boiling water and continue stirring to combine. The batter should be very thin and watery. Pour into prepared bundt pan or divide between two round pans or cupcake holders.
- Bake the bundt cake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (2) 9" rounds will bake in 30-35 minutes and cupcakes will bake in 22-24 minutes. Cool completely.
- Frosting Directions:
- Heat the cream on the stove-top over low heat until steaming, or in a medium size glass bowl in the microwave until simmering. (About 2 minutes at high heat was all it took in the microwave.) Remove from the heat and add the chocolate to the hot cream. Let this sit for a few minutes. Stir or whisk to combine, until the chocolate mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Add the sugar and cocoa powder and stir until completely smooth. Pour the frosting over the cooled cake. Serve immediately or place the cake in the refrigerator to chill until the frosting is set. Enjoy!
The ingredient list looks lengthy at first glance, but trust me when I tell you that this is a very simple recipe. The cake is all made in one bowl and it comes together in minutes. You can frost this cake however you choose and know that it will be delicious!