Tender potatoes and cannelini beans are simmered in a rich, flavorful broth full of Italian spices. There is just a touch of heat from red pepper flakes; feel free to adjust the amount of heat according to your tastes.
This is a simple soup that is perfect for a weeknight dinner. The whole meal went from start to finish in about half an hour.
White beans are quite delicious when combined with spinach and beef for a simple Italian White Bean, Spinach and Beef Soup.
Italian White Bean, Potato and Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely minced yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 small Yukon gold potatoes diced 1/2" small, about 3 cups
- 2 cans cannelini beans or great northern beans
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable base
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ - 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes adjust to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small bunch of kale stems removed and leaves chopped bite size, about 3-4 cups
- Pecorino Romano cheese finely grated for topping
- In the bottom of a large pot, warm the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add the potatoes, beans and all the spices. Stir to combine. Add the water, tomato paste and chicken base. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat.
- Divide the kale between the bowls and ladle the hot soup over the top to wilt the kale. You can also add the kale to the soup pot all at once and stir to wilt. It works great either way. Enjoy!