Tender red potatoes, crisp sweet corn and slightly spicy kielbasa sausage are sauteed together and then tossed with oregano and thyme for a meal that my whole family loves. Fresh or dried herbs work well in this meal, either kind will combine with the potatoes for a very flavorful skillet meal. This is a meal that I’ve been making without a recipe for so many years now; I had to actually pay attention to what I was doing and write down the recipe the last time I made it.
If you have fresh corn available, use it. Nothing truly compares with fresh corn in most dishes. (I’ve been cooking with fresh corn every single chance I get lately!) However, I’ve made this with fresh, frozen and canned corn and all versions are delicious! Served with a fresh salad or just a handful of vegetables on the side, this is a very simple meal that we all enjoy.
- 1 small yellow onion diced small
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 13 ounce kielbasa / polish sausage, sliced as thinly as possible, beef sausage works as well
- 6 baby red potatoes 2" or so in diameter, sliced very thinly
- 2 ears of corn kernels removed or 1 can of corn (drained) or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves or 1/2 tablespoon fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or 1/2 tablespoon fresh
- In a very large skillet, over medium high heat, warm the oil. Add the onions and saute 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the potatoes and the sausage and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper as the potatoes are cooking. Lower the heat to medium and add the corn and the herbs. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes, until the potatoes are tender. Enjoy!