Inspired by a picture I saw on Google+ earlier this week, (thanks, Christie!) I decided to break out the cookie cutters and make my kids grin. The older boys thought the heart shaped breakfast was pretty cool and they spent the meal talking about all the Valentine fun they are planning to enjoy next week.
Whether you are cutting your oatmeal into shapes or simply slicing it in the pan*, this is a tasty, warm and hearty breakfast worthy of a special occasion or any other day. For this breakfast, soft, chewy oats and tender craisins are sweetened and then lightly spiced with cinnamon.
We’ve been eating baked oatmeal several times a month for years now (as evidenced by the numerous variations of it that I have posted) and we still aren’t tired of it. My oldest son can assemble a pan and have it in the oven almost as quickly as I can now. (I would love baked oatmeal mornings for that reason alone!)
Are you looking for more breakfast ideas? Check out all of our Top Oatmeal Recipes!
Check out all of our Oatmeal Recipes!
- 3 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2/3 cup craisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup light flavored olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 10" square (or 9" square or 7x10 or or 9x13 pan, you really can use almost any size) baking pan with parchment or foil, leaving enough extra to stand up around the sides. and set aside. Stir all the dry ingredients together and then stir in the oil. Then add the eggs and stir to combine. Add the milk last and stir again. Pour the oatmeal mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out mostly clean with just oat crumbs on it. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes. Carefully lift the oatmeal out using the ends of parchment or foil. Set on the counter and slice or use a cookie cutter to create the shape you want. Enjoy!
- *If you are not going to cut your oatmeal into shapes, skip the parchment paper and simply grease the pan. Serve hot from the oven and scoop with a spoon or let it cool a bit and then slice it.
- MEAL: Let the oatmeal cool completely and then cut or scoop into portions. Store
- the oatmeal in airtight freezer bags or containers. Reheat in the microwave
- with a tablespoon of water.