Spicy green chile, tender potatoes, hot sausage and tomatoes are simmered in chicken stock for a richly flavorful stew.
This is a very fast meal to put together. Start to finish, this stew only requires 30-40 minutes including prep time; making it a great weeknight dinner.
Green Chili Stew with Sausage and Tomatoes
Servings: 12 -14 servings
- 1 pound hot sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped small
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 14 ounces chopped green chile
- 29 ounces petite diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock I used homemade, if you use store bought, adjust salt as needed
- 6 medium red potatoes diced small, about 4 cups chopped
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cook and crumble the sausage, onions and garlic over medium high heat in the bottom of a large pot. If there is a lot of grease in the bottom of the pot*, drain it off before adding all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, just until the potatoes are tender. Taste the broth and adjust seasonings as desired. Enjoy!
- *The amount of grease varies with different brands and types of sausage. Sometimes, there is almost none and other times there is a lot!
Tried this recipe?Mention @barefeetkitchen or tag #barefeetkitchen!
16 Comments Leave a comment or review
Tricia @ saving room for dessert says
I need to add more sausage to my dishes. I have enjoyed more bacon lately – must be why they say there is a shortage – ha ha. Recently made a hash with Hatch peppers – do you get them in your neck of the woods?
Mmmm… a big bowl of comfort!!! YUM!!!
[email protected] eco friendly homemaking says
Oh this looks so tasty and just makes you think of Fall!!
Inside a British Mum's Kitchen says
so great for a wet, dreary night – a bowl of this would lift my spirits!
Athena @ Lifes Abundant Adventures says
I love soups with green chili, one of the great advantages to living in Arizona is that I can get them anytime! 🙂 I have to try this soon.
Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic says
I bet I would love this spicy stew! It sounds perfect for the rainy weather we've been experiencing lately.
Blond Duck says
That sounds great!
Words Of Deliciousness says
This stew sounds yummy. It would be great for the cold days that are heading our way.
Lea Ann (Cooking on The Ranch) says
The ground is covered with snow here … this sounds like a wonderful dinner for tonight.
But I don't have a 14 oz container of frozen green chili….dagnabbit. 😉
HMMMMMMM.I wonder if a can of Ro-tel would work?
You could definitely use Ro-tel for the tomatoes. You'll still want some additional green chile though.
Bianca Melendez says
Could I use hot Italian sausage?
Mary Younkin says
That sounds delicious, Bianca.
I want to give this 5*, but I substituted cannellini beans for the potatoes, & thickened it, but the base flavor is wonderful! We had a 2lb roll of breakfast sausage to use and my husband asked if I could make chili. I thought of green, but he meant red, so we made both. I found another recipe similar to yours, but it didn’t add tomatoes and it was a chowder. So we have a new favorite, easy to make green chili alternative. He admitted that my chili was better than the red he made. Thanks for posting, because it gave me the courage to try!
Mary Younkin says
I’m so glad you like it, Penny!