Despite the fact that it is mid-January, I was craving potato salad late last night. Luckily, I had roasted breakfast potatoes sitting in the refrigerator next to some hard-boiled eggs waiting for snacking.
I also had some fresh leeks and herbs from the farmer’s market and a jar of garlic infused vinegar that I’d been wanting to try in a salad dressing. With everything right there at my fingertips, this salad took just a few minutes to put together.
Sometimes it pays to keep those potatoes and eggs ready to go.
I really liked the mild onion-y crunch of the leeks, along with the loaded garlic flavor. I ate some of this salad with crackers as a late night snack and then served it with roasted chicken for the next day’s lunch.
I’m looking forward to making this again, although next time I will be making a double batch.
Garlic and Thyme Potato Salad with Leeks
- 3 cups roasted potatoes cooled and chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 2 eggs hardboiled, peeled and chopped small
- 6-8 large black olives thinly sliced or chopped small
- 2 tablespoons leeks sliced very thin
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme finely minced, adjust to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill finely minced, adjust to taste
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1-2 tablespoons white wine vinegar I used the garlic infused vinegar from the preserved garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Combine the potatoes, eggs, olives, leeks, thyme and dill in a bowl and toss to combine. In a second small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and toss gently to coat thoroughly. Chill for a couple hours before serving. Enjoy!
5 Comments Leave a comment or review
Big Dude says
Sounds delicious Mary. I wish I could create dishes like you do.
[email protected] eco friendly homemaking says
This past year I saw an episode of Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network and she was roasting her potatoes for potato salad. I tried it and so loved the way it turned out that now I always use roasted potatoes. So this looks like a recipe that we will love! Thanks.
Sue/the view from great island says
I get those strange summer picnic kinds of cravings right about now too. Actually, it's warm enough here today to actually have a picnic! I've never thought to use roasted potatoes in a salad, and I love the leeks and olives, it sounds like it has a lot more flavor than my regular go-to version.
Tricia @ saving room for dessert says
I wasn't craving potato salad until now! I haven't tried roasting potatoes first but it sounds wonderful. Pretty and creamy – yum.
Great, I'm not the only one that gets freakish cravings for potato salad in the heart of winter! I like the dressing for this, nice touch.