Creamy, rich, chocolate ice cream studded with bits of roasted cherries was one of the very best ice creams I made last year.
I saved the recipe a full year, so that I could share it with you when cherries were in abundance. Now that they are finally back in season, I plan to make this every chance I get until the cherries are gone!
With temperatures rising, it’s time to dust off the ice cream maker!
Take a peek at a few more of these fruit filled ice cream recipes to help keep you cool this summer:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 cup roasted cherries directions below, roughly chopped to 1/4" size
Saucy Roasted Cherries
- 1 lb cherries about 3 cups pitted and halved
- 2 tablespoons sugar
To Roast The Cherries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment. Wash and pit the cherries. Slice the cherries in half and spread them across the baking pan. Roast for 20 minutes, until the cherries start to release their juices.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle with sugar to help the cherries release more of their juices. Stir and chill until needed. Enjoy!
To Make The Ice Cream
- Combine the cream, milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the almond extract and the chocolate until dissolved.
- Let cool and chill in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours. (If you are in a hurry, an hour or two in the freezer will speed up the process.)
- Pour the chilled mixture into your ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. When it is almost finished churning, roughly chop the cooled cherries and add 1 cup's worth of cherries to the ice cream.
- When the machine finishes churning, serve immediately for soft-serve ice cream or transfer to an airtight container and freeze until firm. Serve the ice cream with the remaining cherries spooned over the top. Enjoy!