Tender chunks of roast chicken, creamy white beans and fresh kale combine with a sprinkling of herbs and a bit of chicken broth to make a surprisingly hearty meal. Topped with a generous sprinkling of cheese, my husband and I both agreed that this soup was delicious.
My boys weren’t big fans of the kale. All three of them requested that I put their kale in a smoothie next time instead of soup. At least they like kale most of the time, right?
Chicken, White Bean and Kale Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped small
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 cups chicken stock or 8 cups water plus 3 tablespoons chicken base
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon kosher salt add more to taste depending on how salty your stock is
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked white beans or 2 cans white beans no need to drain the beans
- 3 cups cooked chicken chopped bite size
- 4 cups kale leaves removed from the stem and chopped bite size
- Topping: freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano 1-2 tablespoons for each bowl
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large soup pot. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the stock, white beans, chicken and all the spices.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for just long enough to warm the beans and the chicken. Add the kale and let it simmer for just a moment to wilt it slightly. Scoop into bowls and top with generous amounts of freshly grated Parmesan. Enjoy!
- MEAL: Let the soup cool completely before transferring to freezer safe
- containers. Soup can be reheated in the microwave or it can be thawed first and
- then reheated on the stove-top.