Cold pasta salads were never really my thing before I tried this one. Tomatoes, garlic and a handful of herbs marinate in olive oil for several hours and create the entire flavor of this salad. I love the simplicity of it and the absolute ease of making it ahead of time.
Cavatappi with Sunburst and Grape Tomatoes
- 2 pints grape tomatoes each cut in half
- 1 pint sunburst cherry tomatoes each cut in half (if you can't find these, just use cherry tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 16 ounce cavatappi pasta or your favorite pasta
- Optional: 6 ounces mozarella cheese diced into small cubes
- In a large serving bowl, stir tomatoes, garlic, parsley, basil, salt, pepper and oil. Let that rest at room temperature for at least 2 hours or up to 4 hours.
- Cook your pasta and then drain well. Add the pasta to the tomato mixture and toss well. This can be eaten immediately, or if you can resist, let it rest in the refrigerator for a few hours before eating. Enjoy!
- This is also great with diced mozzarella cheese mixed in as a final step.