These salty, sweet, chewy, crunchy Caramel Pretzel Cookies are filled with crunchy corn flakes and pretzels and generously sprinkled with chewy caramel bits.
I was in a cookie making mood a few nights ago and had already started stirring a batch together when I discovered that I was out of chocolate chips! (Side note: How does that even happen?)
I scrounged through the pantry and decided to work with what I had on hand. Lo and behold, I’ve found my cookie nirvana. Caramel Pretzel Cookies turned out to be my kryptonite.
I found myself grabbing a cookie to snack on every time I walked through the kitchen all weekend. Remember these Ultimate Salted Chocolate Chip Cookies and these Coconut Lover’s Oatmeal Cookies? I’ll rank these Caramel Pretzel Cookies right up there with both of my favorites.
I’m planning to make these cookies again with my holiday cookie gifts and I can hardly wait. I shared these with friends over the weekend and they were a hit with everyone who tried them. For any fan of salty and sweet treats, these cookies are pure heaven!
Are you already a fan of salty sweet treats? Check out these Salty Sweet Butterscotch Brownies, this Sweet and Salty Chocolate Layer Cake, and this Sweet and Salty Christmas Mix for a snack you won’t be able to resist.
Caramel Pretzel Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour *
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup pretzel sticks or twists roughly chopped (see note)
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 1 cup caramel bits
- * Gluten Free Alternative:
- 1 ¾ cups brown rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place the sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add the hot melted butter and stir until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla and stir to combine. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and oats; stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients.
- Gradually add the pretzels, corn flakes, and caramel bits, stirring to mix everything throughout the dough. Scoop the dough into generous 2-3 tablespoon size balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Leave a couple inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove from the oven before the edges of the cookies have browned. The cookies should be puffy and cracked across the top. Let cool for 1-2 minutes on the baking sheet and then remove to a wire rack. When the cookies have completely cooled, store in an airtight container. Enjoy!