Convenience and great taste come together in this easy pasta recipe! You’ll love this Creamy Cajun Pasta for dinner any night of the week.
This was the best spur of the moment dinner we made last week. With little more than 20 minutes effort, you’ll have a creamy, spicy pasta that the whole family enjoys.
Cajun Pasta Recipe
I love the ease of using seasoning mixes for simple recipes like this one. Technically, there are only five ingredients in this recipe, but with a great seasoning mix there is an abundance of different flavors in the dish.
I shared this Cajun Seasoning Mix in The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook. The seasoning blend has been a staple in my pantry for over five years. I figured it was long past time to share it here so that I can more easily link to it for easy access.
After you whip up that Cajun spice blend (it only takes a minute), you’ll be ready to make this delicious pasta!
Creamy Cajun Pasta
My family loves creamy pasta, but I sometimes find them a little too bland. That’s why I was so excited to make a pasta dinner that would satisfy both my family’s love of cream sauces AND my need for a little more heat.
This meal starts by browning hot sausage in a pan. Because spicy sausage already has so much flavor, it’s the perfect foundation for so many of my favorite meals.
Add in a few bell peppers for color and flavor, plus heavy cream and Cajun spices and you get an extra creamy sauce to toss with your pasta.
In regards to the cream in this recipe: you’ll want to use real heavy cream here. Milk or lower-fat alternatives won’t work as well. Trust me on this!
Creamy Cajun Pasta has just the right amount of kick to it for us. If you’d like even more heat, feel free to add a pinch more seasoning. I would encourage you to try the recipe as written before making changes; you don’t want your dinner to be so spicy you can’t enjoy it.
Every single person at my dinner table gave this creamy spicy pasta an enthusiastic two thumbs up! There was hardly a bite leftover. Thankfully, it’s so easy to make that I can whip up another batch next time the craving strikes.
I’ve made this several times now using whatever bite-sized pasta we have in the pantry. It works beautifully with penne, rotini, and fusilli and would also be a great way to serve small shells or farfalle.
Easy Pasta Recipes
Speaking of ease, I don’t think a girl can ever have too many easy pasta recipes at her disposal. Even the pickiest eaters among us will gladly eat pasta and there are endless ways to keep it on the dinner rotation without getting bored.
For those warm summer nights reach for a big bowl of Spinach Pasta Salad or Italian Pasta Salad. And when your basil plant goes crazy this summer, you’ll want to have this recipe for Creamy Pesto Pasta on hand too.
This easy 5-ingredient easy pasta recipe is guaranteed to please. Let Creamy Cajun Pasta be the answer to, “What’s for dinner?” tonight!
Creamy Cajun Pasta with Sausage and Peppers
- 1 lb bite-size pasta: fusilli, rotini, penne, etc.
- 1 lb hot sausage
- 3 bell peppers, assorted colors, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 tbsps Cajun seasoning, adjust for desired heat
- Cook the pasta in heavily salted water. Reserve ½ cup pasta water, drain the pasta, and set aside. While the pasta is cooking, cook and crumble the sausage in a large skillet, over medium high heat, about 5 minutes. Add the peppers and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until slightly softened.
- Pour the cream into a glass measuring cup and whisk in the spices. Pour the cream into the skillet with the sausage. Stir and bring to a simmer to slightly thicken, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and toss well to coat. Add a splash of the reserved pasta water, only if the pasta looks dry. Remove from the heat and serve hot. Enjoy!