Muffins are a much loved breakfast treat in our home. I usually have at least a few different varieties in the freezer for an easy addition to our breakfasts. I’ve always loved zucchini muffins, but these have something extra. With so much squash in the garden, I’m happy to have yet another way to use it. With brown sugar, spices and garden fresh zucchini, I’ve found a new family favorite zucchini muffin.
Brown Sugar Spice Zucchini Muffins
- 2 small zucchini approx 1 3/4 cup shredded (the smaller the better for great flavor)
- 1 1/8 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2/3 cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Butter to grease the muffin tins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the muffin tins and set aside. Grate zucchini and set aside. Whisk together sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs and set aside. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and the spices. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine well. Stir in the grated zucchini.
- Scoop batter into greased muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.
- * To make a loaf instead, pour into a single loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes.