With so many zucchinis at my fingertips this summer, I’m having fun playing with different recipes for baked goods. These muffins were really good.
Naturally, the kids loved them, but why wouldn’t they? These were definitely more cake than bread.
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (or are they cupcakes?)
- 1 1/3 cup of whole wheat flour *
- 1 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour *
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 3/4 cup of light olive oil not extra virgin
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups of zucchini shredded (this was one very large zucchini)
- 1 1/2 cups of dark chocolate chips
* Gluten Free Alternative
- 1 2/3 cups brown rice flour
- 2/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Add the shredded zucchini to the wet ingredients and stir. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until just combined, then add the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter into greased muffin trays, filling each cup to the top. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.